Friday, June 8, 2018

techno 1990

Bleep / Cold Futurism / Quaint Sci-fi

Veda

(People have already compiled tons of this stuff, I probably don't need to go on.)

Lush / Utopian / Dreamy

 Live the Dream

 
Only a Dream

 
The Attic

 Dreamworld

 Industrial / Mechanized Rock Riffs / Proto-Hardcore(???)

 
1200 AD

 Powerhouse

Bring That Beat Back

Revolution

In my ongoing attempt to get a better sense of electronic music history, I've moved on from Chicago / Detroit stuff from the late 80s to UK / European house and techno from the 90s--sort of following the trajectory of Energy Flash. So far I'm only at 1991, but I wanted to note a few of the aesthetic directions I heard in the tracks from 1990 (without writing another longwinded essay-type post). Obviously there's a lot of overlap between these; they're more like currents running through the music than discrete genres.

Edit: entry title reminded me of this video lol

No comments:

Post a Comment